[IPM:722]第1回国際生物的防除シンポジウム

Title: 第1回国際生物的防除シンポジウム
IPM−MLの皆様

高木@九大・生防研です。

第1回国際生物的防除シンポジウムが2001年9月16〜21日にハワイで開催されます。その後、4年毎に世界のどこかで開催される予定のようです。参加申し込みの締め切りは7月17日です。参加申し込み書は http://www.isbca.ucr.edu からダウンロードできます。ポスター発表はまだ受け付けています。少し長くなりますが、以下に、その案内を添付します。

Dear ESA member of the biological control subsection:  I want to call your attention to a very exciting new meeting series that is being inaugurated this coming fall in Hawaii. (September 16-21, 2001, Honolulu).  Anyone working in classical, augmentative or conservation biological control based on parasitoids  or predators will find this a very valuable meeting (pathogens are not included in this meeting).  Contact Roy Van Driesche (vandries@fnr.umass.edu) for more information or to register.
First International Symposium on Biological Control of Arthropods
Why is This Meeting Needed and Unique?
In 1964, practitioners of biological weed control inaugurated a series of international meetings for weed biological control scientists that has been held every four years since the original meeting. This series of meetings has been a vital force for information exchange, development of internal strength and cohesion in their group, helping them to resolve issues and meet new challenges to practical use of biological weed control. As a result, weed biological control has prospered. In contrast, no such forum exists for biological control of insects and mites. We are scattered in larger meetings (such as the Entomological Society of America, or other national societies) or have drifted into narrowly focused meetings such as those on host specificity testing, nontarget impacts, or natural enemy biology. This lack of a forum for our group is holding back our discipline and making us less effective in meeting new challenges to the practical use of our science (which are many and growing). Our intent is to start such a meeting series for biological control of arthropods, beginning in Hawaii in 2001 and continuing every 4 years thereafter. Focus areas of our meeting will include conservation, augmentation and importation of new natural enemies for biological control of arthropod targets using parasitoids or predators. We have elected to not include microbial biological control, for the sake of limiting group size to a manageable number. Our intent is to create a meeting for practitioners, a focus for information exchange, an event to build cohesion among our community and foster discussions of issues affecting our work. Come join us. Attendance will be limited to 250 people; there will be no concurrent sessions.

Overview of the Program
Each session is a block of 4 talks; the session leader is identified; the speakers are listed on the web site. Posters will also be presented at the meeting. FOR A FULL PROGRAM, GIVING ALL THE SPEAKERS AND THEIR TITLES, OPEN THE ATTACHED FILE CALLED "DRAFT PROGRAM"

Monday: Classical Biological Control
Opening Presentation: Roy Van Driesche, Why this meeting is needed and what we hope to get out of it.
Honorarial Address:  Doug Waterhouse (CSIRO), a talk honoring Dougユs lifetime achievements will be presented by Don Sands, CSIRO, Brisbane, Australia.
Keynote Address: Mark Hoddle, Univ. of California, Riverside, CA, USA: Classical Biological Control of Arthropods in the 21st Century.
Session 1:  Key Issues in the Future Expanded Use of Classical Biological Control..  Session leader: Roy Van Driesche (vandries@fnr.umass.edu)
Session 2:  Better Methods for Colonization, Evaluation and Monitoring of New Natural Enemies. Session leaders: John Goolsby (John.Goolsby@brs.ento.csiro.au) and Roger Fuester, (rfuester@naa.ars.usda.gov)
Session 3: Applications of Molecular Methods to the Processes of Classical Biological Control.  Session leader: Marjorie Hoy (mahoy@gnv.ifas.ufl.edu)

Session 4: Modeling and Theory as Tools to Clarify Causes of Success or Failure of Biological Control Projects.  Session leader: Nigel Barlow (barlown@agresearch.cri.nz)

Tuesday: Augmentative Biological Control
Keynote Address: Kevin Heinz, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, USA.
Session 1: Successes in Augmentative Biological Control. Session leader: Kevin Heinz, Texas A&M Univ. (KMHeinz@tamu.edu)
Session 2: Economics of Production and Use of Reared Natural Enemies.  Session leader:  Ron Valentin, Koppert, Canada. (valentinrjp@aol.com)
Session 3: Post-Release Dispersal, Distribution, and Impact of Augmented Natural Enemies in Field Crops.  Session leader: Livy Williams, (LWilliams@ars.usda.gov)
Session 4: Survey of Actual and Potential Use in Outdoor Crops.  Session leader: Robert Luck, (Robert.Luck@ucr.edu)

Wednesday: Field Trip
Field trip on Oahu to sites of biological control and ecological interest (see section on bus tour)

Thursday: Conservation of Natural Enemies in IPM Systems
Keynote Speaker : Prof. H.F. van Emden, Univ. of Reading, UK.
Session 1: Habitat Manipulation and Conservation Biological Control: Nectar Feeding by Parasitoids.  Session leader:  George Heimpel (heimp001@tc.umn.edu)
Session 2: Habitat Manipulation and Conservation Biological Control: Alternative Hosts and Habitat Refuges for Parasitoids.  Session leader:  Bob Pfannensteil, (rpfannenstiel@weslaco.ars.usda.gov)
Session 3: Effects on Natural Enemies of IPM Systems Using Transgenic Plants.  Session leader:  Brian Federici, (brian.federici@ucr.edu)
Session 4: Pesticide Effects on Natural Enemies in Crops, Livy Williams, (Lwilliams@ars.usda.gov)

Friday: Classical Biological Control ミ Recent Examples
Keynote Address: Tom Bellows, Univ. of California, Riverside, CA, USA.
Friday Sessions 1,2, & 4: Biological Control by Introduction of New Natural Enemies ミ Recent Programs.  Session Leaders:Tom Bellows, (bellows@ucr.edu) and Tom Unruh, (unruh@yarl.ars.usda.gov)
Friday Session 3: Monitoring for Effects of Biocontrol Agents on Nontarget Organisms, Russell Messing  (messing@hawaii.edu).

Additional Information
Speakers. The speaking program is filled, but further participants are invited to present posters
Poster Presentations. Participants not giving verbal presentations are invited to present posters (4x4 foot spaces), in a manner similar to that for Entomological Society of America meetings. Posters should be accompanied by 1 page (500 word) abstracts, which will be published in the proceedings. Send abstract to Roy Van Driesche before August 15, 2001.

Program for the meeting.  Abstracts of all oral presentations and poster presentations will be collated and available as the Symposium Program.  Abstracts for papers and posters are due in electronic form to Roy Van Driesche by August 15, 2001.  Limit for abstracts is 500 words.  Please see the web page for more detailed instructions for abstract presentation.

Proceedings of the Meeting. The US Forest Service Forest Health Technology Enterprise Team (Morgantown, WV, USA) is sponsoring the publication of a Proceedings of this meeting. The proceedings will be published after the meeting and will be similar in style to the proceedings of the International Biological Weed Control Symposia. Instructions for proceedings papers for speakers will be found on the web site.  Abstracts of the poster presentations will be included in the proceedings, limited to 500 words.

Registration and Meals.
The meeting registration cost will be $120 (US) payable by check to the University of Massachusetts and sent to:
(TO REGISTER, USE THE ATTACHED FORM; NOTE THAT THERE IS A SEPARATE FORM FOR THE OPTION WEDNESDAY BUS TOUR AND GROUP MEAL)
Roy Van Driesche
Dept. of Entomology
Fernald Hall
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA
USA  01003

No credit cards accepted; no on-site registration. Last day for registration is July 17, 2001. (Actually, we will take registrations after that, but we cannot guarantee space in the meeting hotel, as we have to relinquish the unused rooms in our reserved block at that time). Registration fees includes the meeting, a copy of the Proceedings, four catered lunches (M, T, Th, F), a mixer on Sunday night before the meeting and snacks and beverages twice per day for four meeting days. People who come to the meeting must make their own hotel room reservations. People wishing to be connected to a room-mate for the meeting should consult this aspect on our website after they have registered with Dr. Van Driesche and before registering at the hotel. Attendees will be on their own for all breakfasts and dinners, except for dinner on Wednesday for those who elect to take the bus tour of the island to see biological control projects and local spots of both ecological interest and simple natural beauty. The bus trip has a separate extra fee, but this includes a dinner meal, hopefully an outdoor Hawaiian feast. The Sunday mixer is being sponsored by Biological Control, an Academic Press journal. Complementary copies of the journal will be provided to attendees.

Wednesday Bus Tour (for details, see the attached file "Wed Registration)
On Wednesday, there will be no formal program, but rather an optional bus tour that will include visits to sites related to biological control projects or invasive species problems, together with visits to selected natural areas. The bus tour will have an extra, separate fee (not yet set, see our website later for details on how to register for the tour) and will include an evening group meal at one of the stops.

Regional Coordinators: Contacts for more information.

1. Europe: Ullie Kulhmann   U.Kuhlmann@cabi-bioscience.ch
2. South and Central America: Elizabeth DeNardo edenardo@yahoo.com
3. North America (US, Canada and Mexico): Mark Hoddle, UC Riverside,CA, USA   Mark.Hoddle@ucr.edu
4. Japan: open
5. China: Dr. Da-Wei Huang,  huangdw@panda.ioz.ac.cn
6. Southeast Asia: Banpot Napompeth   agrban@nontri.ku.ac.th
7. Australia, New Zealand and Oceania: Don Sands, CSIRO, Brisbane, Don.Sands@brs.ento.csiro.au
8. The Middle East: Moshe Coll, Rehovot, Israel coll@agri.huji.ac.il
9. Africa: Peter Neuenschwander (IITA)  P.Neuenschwander@cgiar.org

Sponsors
The International Symposium is sponsored in part by: The U.S. Forest Service (U.S. Forest Health Technology Enterprise Team), USDA-ARS, USDA-APHIS-National Biological Control Institute, and the Journal Biological Control, published by Academic Press.  Our special thanks to these partners in making such a vital meeting possible.

Quick Facts About the Meeting
Dates: September 17-21, 2001 with a mixer from 6-9 PM on Sunday night, the 16th September.
Place: Radisson Waikiki Prince Kuhio Hotel in Honolulu, Hawaii  (NOTE: YOU HAVE TO MAKE YOUR OWN HOTEL RESERVATIONS; USE THE FORM IN THE ATTACHED FILE; MENTION OUR MEETING TO GET THE $99 OR $109 RATE FOR MOUNTAINVIEW OR OCEANVIEW DOUBLEBED ROOMS)
Who to Contact for Information.
Being a speaker ミ Contact Roy Van Driesche by email to register to give a poster; speaking slots are filled
Meeting registration ミ download the registration form from the web site and send it with payment to Roy Van Driesche.
General information ミ  see the web site for general information, and contact Roy Van Driesche (vandries@fnr.umass.edu) for further details.
Local information ミ about the meeting site or facilities, contact Marshall Johnson (mjohnson@hawaii.edu).
To reserve a room- contact the hotel (use the form on our website).
Webpage. Visit the webpage http://www.isbca.ucr.edu to:
1.      Download the meeting registration form
2.      Download the hotel registation form (to be mailed or faxed to the hotel)
3.      Read or download updated drafts of the Program
4.      Additional information
Hotel. The meeting will be held at the Radisson Waikiki Prince Kuhio hotel in Honolulu, HI. You may contact the hotel at 808-921-5570, 2500 Kuhio Ave., Honolulu, HI. or from the web site.  Please register by using the hotel registration form from our webpage. Please identify yourself as attending the ISBCA meeting!  Rooms (single or double) are either $99 or $109 (ocean view) per night. Hotel reservations must be made with the hotel by August 17th to secure this price and assure room availability.
Room sharing. To find someone to share a room with, visit the roommate portion of our website. You must register for the meeting before we can add your  request for a roommate information to the site.
Registration. Meeting registration will be by paper form (available from our website), mailed to Roy Van Driesche, Dept. Entomology, Fernald Hall, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA, 01003, USA, with a fee of $120 US paid by check (drawn in US funds) to the University of Massachusetts. All registrations must be received by July 17th 2001 (3 months before the meeting).

812-8581 福岡市東区箱崎6-10-1
九州大学大学院農学研究院生物的防除学講座
高木 正見
TEL 092-642-3035 FAX 092-642-3040